The library provides a number of computers so that you can use the Internet, Microsoft Office software, educational software, early childhood games, the library catalog and many other resources. We also offer free computer classes, and we sell 2GB USB flash memory drives at the circulation desk.
Wireless Internet Access
There are wireless access points on both the upper and lower levels of the building; you should be able to get a good signal almost anywhere in the library. There are two wireless networks you can join:
- FallsLibrary doesn’t require you to log in, and it doesn’t allow printing.
- FallsLibraryPrinting requires you to log in with your library card number and PIN, and it allows you to print to the library’s printers.
There are a number of computers throughout the library reserved for using the library catalog, research databases, and the library’s web site. You can use these to find books and other materials in the library, view lists of new titles in the library, and request items from other libraries using SearchOhio or OhioLINK. You can also use them to find magazine and newspaper articles as well as information on searching for a job, genealogy, auto repair, and much more through our databases.
Word Processing Computers
There are “no Internet” computers for use by people of any age. These are set up the same as the Internet computers except that they have no Internet access and their time limit is 4 hours.
There are a number of computers throughout the library that you can use to access the Internet, use Office software such as Microsoft Word, and use educational software.
Basics of Use
You’ll need a library card with less than $5 in fines to use an Internet computer. Computers are located both upstairs and downstairs. If a computer is available you can just walk up, sign in, and use it. If all computers are in use, you can sign up in the waiting list. If you need to step away from a computer for a few minutes you can lock the computer. There are time limits — 2 hours for most computers, and 20 minutes for the express computers.
You can print in black (5 cents) or color (25 cents). After you print something, you’ll need to go to a print release station where you can log in, view your list of print jobs, pay for them, and then send them to the printer.
All Internet computers have CD/DVD drives (although we don’t allow you to watch DVDs on the computers), USB ports, and slots for memory cards. The computers do not have floppy disk drives. we sell 2GB USB flash memory drives at the circulation desk.
The computers do not have speakers, but they do have headphones, and they have ports in the front where you can plug in your own headphones. We recommend that you pick up a disposable wipe at the reference desk or the children’s desk to clean the headphones before you use them.
You can use your laptop (Windows or Mac) to print to our printers.
Connect to FallsLibrary
To use our wireless printing, connect to the FallsLibrary wireless network. If your computer asks you to choose the type of network, select “work.” You won’t be able to print to our printers if you select “public.” If you need to change the setting from “public” to “work,” you can do that in the Network and Sharing Center within your computer’s Control Panel.
To log into the wireless printing, go to the following web page: spot.cuyahogafallslibrary.org
You will be prompted to log in with your library card number and PIN, and to accept the library’s computer use policy.
Getting Set Up to Print
You’ll need to install a driver for one of our printers on your computer.
• One the web page you see after you log in, look for the printer that you want; under that, find your operating system and click the “download” link beside it to run a script that automatically sets up that printer on your computer.
• After you click on “download” you’ll be asked what to do with the script; choose “run”, or if that’s not an option, choose “save” and then double click on it to run it.
• Continue past any security warnings that come up (click “OK”, “allow”, etc.).
• If prompted by the Add Printer Wizard, choose the second option, “4520 Series.”
Computer Use Policy
- All users of the library’s computers who live, work, or attend school in Summit county must have a valid Cuyahoga Falls Library card.
- Use of a guest card is restricted to legitimate visitors.
- Library staff will only give out a barcode once a year, and then only with adequate identification.
- PARENTS and LEGAL GUARDIANS of minors (up to 18 years of age) MUST ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY for their children’s use of the Internet.
- Users must adhere to session limits.
- Due to space constraints near the computers there is a limit of two persons to each computer.
- Computer users are required to follow the library’s behavior policy.
- Downloading of files may not be done to the computers’ hard disk drives.
- YOU ARE ADVISED THAT THE LIBRARY CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR DAMAGES TO USERS’ PERSONAL DATA, DISKS, and/or DEVICES that may occur from using the Library’s workstations.
- Problems should be reported to the library staff.
- Unacceptable use of the library’s computers will result in revocation of computer privileges.
- Violation of applicable local, state and federal laws
- Interfering with or disrupting other users
- Representing yourself as another person
- Attempting to install software
- Logging off, turning off, rebooting/ unplugging the equipment
- Tampering with settings
- Displaying or printing text/graphics which may reasonably be construed as obscene or harmful to minors or offensive to other library users.
- Damaging hardware
Violations will result in the following:
- 1 month suspension of computer privileges
- Permanent revocation of computer privileges
Printing costs are as follows:
- 5¢ per page for black and white prints.
- 25¢ per page for color prints.
The library’s staff is unable to provide in depth training concerning the Internet or computer use, but will offer assistance in accessing the Internet.
Due to the evolving nature of these services, policies are subject to change without notice.