Local History Room
The purpose of the Taylor Memorial Local History Room at Cuyahoga Falls Library is “to collect, preserve material pertaining primarily to Cuyahoga Falls … that will be of historic value” and to “house them in such a way that they will be available to those who need them and will be protected from wear and tear and theft.”
The library collects materials in various formats including books, pamphlets, manuscripts, broadsides, photographs, etc.
Using the Local History Room
Patrons wishing to use the Local History Room and the Archival materials contained therein must make an appointment with Adult Services. Appointments must be made at least two days in advance, preferably a week. Let the department’s coordinator know through e-mail and a note on the schedule.
At the time of the appointment, some form of ID will be taken and held while the patron is in the room.
A staff member will accompany the patron to the room and remain there with them. There is a mobile phone and a computer for the staff member’s use. It will prove useful in helping the patron learn about online sources of information as well.
Archival and Photographic Materials
These materials are sometimes very old, fragile and largely irreplaceable.
They are stored in the locked metal file cabinets, map case, and display case.
Selection is done by looking at the card catalog or by looking at the Local History Archives Inventory Lists notebooks. Every inventory list from each folder in the file cabinets, is reproduced in these notebooks. Once a selection is made, the patron should ask the staff member to help them retrieve the file.
Books in the Local History Room collection are in the library’s online card catalog, in case the patron wants to check there first.
The staff member must check the contents against the inventory sheet in the folder before and after the patron uses the file.
More than one folder can be gotten out, but checking must be done.
Patrons wishing to copy materials must tell the staff member before they leave the room to use the copier. Books and other material that are old and fragile must not be put on the copier.
Patron should first ask about scanning or making photographs of their own from the collection. Scanning will also be bad for fragile material.
Protection of the Collection
The further protection of these valuable materials is the responsibility of the Adult Services staff members. The staff’s careful handling of archival items will impress the public and inspire their concern in turn.
Since all items in the lateral file cabinets are seldom of the same size, it is easy for smaller ones to fall out if the folder is tipped sideways when being returned to the drawer. Such tipping also frequently causes the legal-size pages to shift forward, beyond the folder’s edge, resulting in crumpling, tearing and unnecessary wear as these pages are caught under the metal edge when the folder is next removed.
Staff re-shelves and makes sure that all material is put away before leaving the room.
What You’ll Find in the Local History Room
Here is a sample of what you’ll find in the Local History Room.
- Histories of the library
- Some of the books from the original Taylor Memorial collection, circa 1912
- Reports from the city and various city departments
- Copies of the city’s charter
- Some minutes from meetings of the city
Organizations and Schools
- Church histories
- Minutes from meetings of various local organizations
- Photos of clubs and organizations, including sports teams and scouts
- Yearbooks, 1912 – 2006
- A yearbook from the 1860s with photos of students and teachers of Taylor/Delano
- School photos, with class pictures, including Crawford School
- City Directories, 1925-1980 (some may be for Cuyahoga Falls only)
- Book from the middle 19th century listing names of citizens, with sections covering those who served in the military, those who perished on the Sultana, and listings of people by profession/trade
- Books pertaining to the Sill family, some of the founders of the city, and to poet Edward Rowland Sill
- Family histories: Grubers, Mickleys, Hanfords, Milfords, Currens/Crawfords, Kuncklers, Pascoe/Scheid/Maunus, Welty, Carters, Smith/Ferguson
- Cuyahoga Falls Historic building survey, compiled by the Historic Building Preservation Committee of the Historical Society. There is an index for this book in a card catalog drawer, where you can look up an address to find the name of the original owner, how it was constructed and sometimes some information about the original occupants.
- Lot record book, a journal of lots and their owners in 1830s and 1850s
- Land grants
Maps and Atlases
- 19th century atlases that include Cuyahoga Falls
- Other maps
- Histories of Cuyahoga Falls
- Histories of Summit County that include Cuyahoga Falls
- Oral histories
- The river, the falls, and the city (back into the 19th century)
- Local amusement parks, Gaylord’s Grove and High Bridge Glens
- The city’s Centennial and Sesquicentennial parades and activities
- Doodlebug train accident
- Mountain Line train accident
- Natural disasters, including the flood of 1913
- Summit County Historical Society calendar pages
- Panoramic photos of the city
- Sheet music, including “High Bridge Glens March”
- Articles concerning city activities
- Information about Vaughn Machinery, Walsh Mills and other mills along the river, including some of the company record books
- Articles, photos and other information about the Staybolt Company
- Articles about Mary Campbell’s Cave and histories of the child “kidnapped” by Indians
- The Civil War diary and military papers of Amos Wills
- Civil War histories of units, discharge papers, roster lists, and more