Get a Card | Fines and Fees | Loan Periods and Renewals | Billed Items and Materials Recovery | Checkout Limits | Drive Up Services | Reserves | Refunds | Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials | Teacher Loans | Notices
GET A CARD
A picture ID with name and current address is required to obtain a card. Cards issued to persons under the age of 18 require a parent or guardian’s presence and signature.
If you do not have something with your current address on it, you will be allowed to check out 2 print items, and we will mail you your library card. Once you receive it, you may bring it in with a picture ID and have full borrowing privileges instated.
Library cards are free to residents of Ohio. There is a $1.00 fee to have a library card replaced.
FINES AND FEES
- If you are referred to our materials recovery service, you will be charged a $10 fee.
- You will be charged the replacement cost for any items that you don’t return.
- If you return items that are damaged or incomplete, you will be charged an amount that will be determined on an individual basis.
- The replacement charge for any item borrowed through OhioLINK is $125.
- The replacement charge for any item borrowed through SearchOhio is $25.
- We will charge a $10 fee for checks returned due to insufficient funds.
- If your library materials are four weeks overdue (or 2 weeks for DVDs and Blu-rays), we will mail you a bill for the replacement cost of the items. After you receive a bill, you can still return the materials – you will still owe overdue fines of up to $5 per item.
To ensure that you receive bills, please make sure that we have your current address.
If you have not returned materials 10 days after we send you a bill and you owe at least $25, we will refer you to a materials recovery service called Unique Management. We will add a $10 fee to your library account in order to cover the cost of this service. Unique Management will contact you about the return of your library materials.
LOAN PERIODS AND RENEWALS
|Item Type||Item Limit||Loan Period (Days)||Fine Per day (¢)||Renewals|
|DVDs and Blu-rays||20||7||50||10|
|Movie Express DVDs and Blu-rays||20||3||50||0|
|Books on CD||50||14||5||10|
|Library of Things||1 of each item type||7||50||0|
|Children’s Discovery Kits||2||14||5||10|
|Children’s Book Boxes (Teacher Loan Only)||2||28||—||2|
|SearchOhio Book, CDs, audiobooks||50||21||5||3|
|SearchOhio DVDs and Blu-Rays||50||7||50||3|
|OhioLink DVDs, CDs and audiobooks||25||7||50||3|
*Please note: Renewals can only be made if another person does not have the item on hold. You can check out any combination of items within the limits listed above, up to 100 items total on your card. Additional restrictions for SearchOhio and OhioLink listed under Checkout Limits
BILLED ITEMS AND MATERIALS RECOVERY SERVICE
If your library materials are four weeks overdue (or 2 weeks for DVDs and Blu-rays), we will mail you a bill for the replacement cost of the items. After you receive a bill, you can still return the materials – you will still owe overdue fines of up to $5 per item.
To ensure that you receive bills, please make sure that we have your current address.
If you have not returned materials 10 days after we send you a bill and you owe at least $25, we will refer you to a materials recovery service called Unique Management. We will add a $10 fee to your library account in order to cover the cost of this service. Unique Management will contact you about the return of your library materials, and, if you don’t return them and pay your fines, will put this on your credit report.
Items Owned by Cuyahoga Falls Library
You may check out 20 DVDs and/or Blu-rays, 20 Playaway Views, 50 magazines, 50 CDs, and as many books as you want, up to a limit of 100 items.
The limit on children’s CD-ROMs is 2 per family, and the limit on Discovery Packs is 2 per family.
On the day you first get your library card, you can check out up to 6 items if you have an ID with your current address, or up to 2 print items if you have no current ID.
Children aged 15 and under are not permitted to check out adult DVDs on their card.
Items from SearchOhio and OhioLINK
The total number of requests you can have from both SearchOhio and OhioLINK is 50. Of these, up to 25 can be from OhioLINK. This includes items that you have requested but not yet received, and items you’ve returned but have not yet made it back to their home libraries.
The Express Window allows you to pick up library materials without leaving your car. The Express Pick-up Window is for picking up materials only; items can be returned in the drive-up book and A/V drops.
Drive-Up Book and AV Drops
You can return library materials any time without leaving your car using the drive-up book and AV drops. These are located in the small parking lot near Broad Boulevard, on the southeast side of the building, and are open 24/7. Please make sure that all materials drop down into the book drop. Library of Things items as well as Discovery packs, Playaway Views and Playaway Launchpads need to be returned inside the building.
- You can place a hold on new titles as soon as we order them.
- You can place a hold on any kind of item except magazines, Express items and Library of Things.
- You can have as many as 99 titles reserved at a time.
- When a hold is ready for you to pick up, we will place it on the self-service pick-up shelves by the checkout desk, and you will receive a phone call or an email. If you would like, you can call ahead and arrange to pick up your reserves at the express pick-up window. The item will be on the pick-up shelf for 5 days, including the day the item is placed on the pick-up shelf. (Days that the library is closed do not count.) After this time, the item will go to the next person on the reserve list, or if nobody else is waiting it will be placed back on the regular shelves for anyone to check out.
- If you’re going out of town, or for some other reason you don’t want your holds to become available for a time, you can freeze one or more of your holds.
- If you placed a hold on a title but later decide that you don’t want it, you can cancel the hold. This is a good thing to do because people who are behind you in the hold list will get that title faster.
Refunds of payments of replacement fees will be granted within six months of the date of payment if the original item is returned. You must present your receipt. No other refunds will be given. All refunds will be issued via mailed check.
REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION OF LIBRARY MATERIALS
Download: Reconsideration of Materials Form
The Cuyahoga Falls Library subscribes to the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, which states in part, that “Books and other library resources shall be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves. Materials shall not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.” The Library Bill of Rights continues by saying that “Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.” It is the Cuyahoga Falls Library’s responsibility to provide resources on many subjects, from multiple viewpoints, appealing to the public’s diverse interests and tastes.
If you wish the Library to reconsider the purchase of a particular item you must complete and sign the Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials form. When the Library Director receives the form he or she will appoint a staff committee of three or five people, including the Director, a Coordinator and the librarian who initiated the order. The committee will examine the item in its entirety, taking into consideration the original reasons for purchase, and evaluate the item in light of the Library’s selection policy, the Library Bill of Rights, and the item’s critical reception. After the item has been thoroughly and objectively reviewed, taking into consideration the complainant’s objections, the committee will respond in writing.
If the complainant wishes to appeal the decision of the staff committee he or she may do so to the Board of Trustees. The appeal must be submitted in writing and will then be placed on the agenda of the next regularly scheduled Board meeting. The complainant will be given the opportunity to state his or her case to the full Board, who will take the information under advice. The Board President will then appoint an ad hoc committee of three or five Board members and the Library Director to examine the item in question. The ad hoc committee will review the item and make a recommendation to the full Board at the next regularly scheduled meeting. The decision of the Board is final.
Approved by the Cuyahoga Falls Library Board of Trustees, August 16, 2005
Supplement your classroom with materials from the Children’s Room of the Cuyahoga Falls Library. Teacher Loans are available to teachers certified by the Summit County Board of Education, Preschool or Daycare teachers and Home School teachers. Teachers must live or work in Summit County and must have a valid Cuyahoga Falls library card. Stop at the Circulation Desk and fill out a Teacher Loan registration form and Teacher Loan status will be attached to your existing CFL registration.
- Teacher Loan materials check out for four (4) weeks with one renewal. Holiday materials do not check out on a teacher loan. Non-fiction videos, discovery kits, Playaways, children’s magazines, and up to 6 music CDs may be checked out in a Teacher Loan.
- A maximum of 50 items can be checked out on a Teacher Loan at one time and can be in any combination as long as there are not more than 50 items on the card at one time.
- Materials that have been obtained through SearchOhio or OhioLINK can only be checked out on a personal card and not on a teacher card.
How Does It Work?
Select your own materials by stopping at the Children’s Desk and filling out a check-out form and obtaining a convenient tote bag. Once your selections are made, retrieve your check-out form and proceed to the Circulation Desk to check out.
Phone the Children’s Room at 330-928-2117 and request a loan selected by staff. Every effort will be made to fill phoned-in requests; however, materials are subject to availability. Please specify approximately how many books are needed, the grade/reading level and when you wish to pick them up. Please allow 24-hour advance notice to prepare a phoned-in Teacher Loan request. Please be sure your Teacher Loan registration is on file to use the phone-in service or apply for Teacher Loan services when your loan is picked up. All Teacher Loans should be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
- Holiday materials, entertainment videos, Express items and CD-ROMs may not be checked out on a Teacher Loan. Young Adult books, adult books and non-fiction DVDs may also go out on teacher loan.
- Teacher Loans can be checked out any day of the week.
- Teacher Loans should be returned to the Circulation Desk.
- A $15 replacement fee will be charged for lost or damaged tote bags.
- Teachers will not be charged fines for overdue materials. However, failure to return materials when they are due may result in a loss of privileges.
- All materials checked out on the Teacher Loan card are the responsibility of the teacher. Damaged, lost or stolen materials are the financial obligation of the teacher.
- Teacher Loans should be picked up within 5 days of the requested pick-up date, or the materials will be returned to the shelf.
Types of Notices
- Courtesy Notices: You will receive a courtesy notice the day before an item is due.
- Overdue Notices: You’ll receive overdue notices by either email or phone.
- Bills: If your materials are four weeks overdue (2 weeks for DVDs and Blu-rays), we will mail you a bill for the replacement cost of the items.
- Reserve Pickup Notices: You will receive a pickup notice when an item you have requested is available for you to pick up.
- Reserve Cancellation Notices: If something you requested isn’t available, you will receive a notice by email.
Methods of Notification
Our telephone notification system can call you with reserve pickup notices and overdue notices. It makes its calls between 10 a.m. and 9 p.m., 7 days a week.
Our system can email you every kind of notice. These emails do include the titles of items you have checked out or reserved – please keep this in mind if you use an e-mail account to which others have access. In order to help prevent the notices from being marked as spam, please put the following address in your contacts list or address book: no-reply@CuyahogaFallsLibrary.org
Text Message Notification
If you get email notices, you can also receive library notices as text messages (SMS) on your phone. These brief messages won’t include all the details like titles or due dates, but they will give you a link you can use to access your account to check the details, and you can see the full notice in your email. Text message charges from your cell phone carrier may apply. To sign up for text message notices, ask at the checkout desk.
Setting Your Preference to Email or Phone
If you have given the library your email address, you will receive courtesy notices and reserve cancellation notices by email. You will also receive hold pickup notices and overdue notices by email unless you change your “notice preference” to “phone.”
Use “edit account” in My Account to add or change email address & set notice preference (or call library 330-928-2117 or go to checkout desk) www.cuyahogafallslibrary.org/myaccount
- If we have your phone number but not your email address: You’ll get reserve pickup notices and overdue notices by phone.
- If we have your phone number and your email address:
- If your notice preference is set to phone: You’ll get reserve pickup notices and overdue notices by phone, and you’ll get courtesy notices and reserve cancellation notices by email.
- If your notice preference is not set, or is set to email: You’ll get reserve pickup notices, overdue notices, courtesy notices, and reserve cancellation notices by email.
Signing Up for Text Messages
If you receive email notices, you can also receive library notices as text messages (SMS) on your phone. These brief messages won’t include all the details like titles or due dates, but they will give you a link you can use to access your account to check the details, and you can see the full notice in your email.
- Text message charges from your cell phone carrier may apply.
- The text message notices go out 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. seven days a week.
- You can’t reply to the texts (you can, but your reply will go nowhere).
- The text message notices are tied to email notices. You’ll need to have your phone number (in a special format) in the email address field of your record. Here are the details:
- Email address: We can set this up for you at the checkout desk, or you can do this yourself by editing the email address in your account. Click on “my account” in the upper right corner of our web site. Once you’re logged in, click the “edit account” link on the right. Just put in your 10-digit cell phone number with no spaces or punctuation, followed by “@sms.oplin.org”. Separate this from your email address with a comma but no space. All the following examples will work: