Public Participation at Board Meetings Policy
Public Participation At Board Meetings Policy
The Cuyahoga Falls Library Board of Trustees (“Board”) welcomes public input in its deliberation. The Board further recognizes both the importance of public comment on issues before the Board and the ability of the members of the community to express their views on matters of interest to the Library.
The Board is committed to conducting its meetings in a civil, orderly, efficient and productive manner designed to allow the Board’s regular agenda to be competed in a reasonable period of time while allowing a fair and adequate opportunity for public input to be considered. Consequently, public participation at Board meetings will be governed by the following principles:
- Public participation at Board meetings is limited to the public comment portions of the meeting as indicated in the agenda. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience will not be recognized by the Board unless specifically requested to do so by the President of the board (or other presiding officer).
- Persons wishing to address the Board must be physically present and register their names, and topic on the sign-in sheet which will be provided at the meetings. Speakers must fill out the sign-in sheet before they will be recognized.
- Each person addressing the Board is limited to five minutes. This time limit may be modified at the discretion of the Board in order to ensure an orderly and productive meeting. A maximum of thirty (30) minutes of public participation will be permitted at each meeting. The secretary will keep track of the time.
- Persons are strongly encouraged to discuss their comments and concerns with the appropriate library staff members or administrators before directing such comments to the entire Board during a meeting.
- Persons addressing the Board are expected to observe a level of civility and decorum appropriate for a public meeting, and refrain from vulgar, profane, or harassing and/or personal attacks. The President of the Board (or other presiding officer) may terminate any presentation deemed not to adhere to these standards.
Failure to adhere to these principles may result in removal from the meeting. A copy of these guidelines will be placed next to the sign-in sheet made available to members of the public.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees on December 17, 2019.