Services for Kids
We offer a variety of programs for kids of all ages. Check out the calendar to see what’s in store.
We offer FREE storytime programs for children ages six months through preschool. Storytimes include stories, songs, finger play, and often crafts.
Summer Reading (June and July each year)
– Sign up! Register in the Children’s Dept. or online
– Find great reading material! Check out items about your favorite topics
– Track your reading! Keep a record of your reading time by adding it to your log
– Win prizes! Earn coupons, books, and other great prizes by reading every day
– Have fun! Attend one of the FREE family-friendly programs
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
It’s never too early to start reading to your child. With this early literacy program, we’re encouraging you to commit to reading 1,000 books to your child before they go to kindergarten. Children who listen to 500 books will earn a book to keep, and those who reach 1,000 will receive a commemorative “1000BBK” T-shirt. Stop by the Children’s Room for details and to sign up. This is an ongoing program so you can sign up anytime.
We visit preschools in Cuyahoga Falls and Northampton on a scheduled monthly basis. Each preschool visit includes stories, songs, and fingerplays, and we can deliver a collection of books. We also provide classroom visits to public and parochial schools in Cuyahoga Falls and Northampton. Studying the Civil War? Dinosaurs? We will be glad to come to your classroom with subject related stories or book talks. We also participate in school related Family Literacy Nights and other special programs within the community.
Book Boxes for Classroom Use
Book Boxes are a great way to supplement your classroom. A Book Box contains 30 copies of the same title, and many also include the book on CD for classroom listening. Click here for a list of titles.
- Book Boxes may be reserved in advance for the following school year beginning August 1.
- Book Boxes circulate for four weeks and must be put on a Teacher Card.
- Teachers are limited to checking out two boxes at a time.
- A Book Box can be renewed if it is not otherwise reserved by another teacher.
- Please call the Children’s Room to put a Book Box on reserve.
- Because of storage issues regarding Book Boxes, teachers must give at least 24 hours advanced notice before a Book Box can be picked up.
- If a Book Box is not picked up within three days, it will be returned to the collection.
- Teachers should make every effort to return the Book Box intact with all copies present. If this is not possible teachers should return missing copies to the Cuyahoga Falls Library as soon as possible. Teachers will not be charged for copies which are turned in late.
- Each title in a Book Box is numbered on the cover. The number on the cover is to assist the Teacher in knowing which student has each book. Teachers should match numbers to students and keep a master list when the books are distributed to students.
- Math – Count it Down, Match it Up, Sort it Out
- Fun with Science
- Explore the World Around You
- Read Along, Sound it Out
- Wild and Wacky Writing Adventures
- Search for Answers in the Reference Books
- Play Music, Draw Pictures
We offer Microsoft Student with Encarta on all the Internet computers in the library. Microsoft Student is a comprehensive, subject-specific resource designed to help middle- and high-school students complete homework assignments and projects in less time. Student is a suite of learning tools including Microsoft Math, Learning Essentials, Encarta Premium 2009, foreign language tools, and more than 1,000 book summaries.
Encarta is a digital multimedia encyclopedia consisting of more than 62,000 articles, numerous photos and illustrations, music clips, videos, interactivities, timelines, maps and atlas, and homework tools.
Make your students’ visit to the library more fruitful and productive. Call the Children’s Room in advance to notify us of upcoming assignments or research projects. Staff will be happy to place selected materials on “class reserve,” thus affording all students who visit the library an opportunity to use them. Also, teachers are encouraged to call the library and inquire regarding the availability of materials about a subject before assigning reports or research projects.
Supplement your classroom with materials from the Children’s Room of the Cuyahoga Falls Library. Teacher Loans are available to teachers certified by the Summit County Board of Education, Preschool or Daycare teachers and Home School teachers. Teachers must live or work in Summit County and must have a valid Cuyahoga Falls library card. Stop at the Circulation Desk and fill out a Teacher Loan registration form and Teacher Loan status will be attached to your existing CFL record.
Teacher Loan materials check out for four (4) weeks with one renewal. Holiday materials do not check out on a teacher loan. Most Children’s audiovisual materials may also be checked out in Teacher Loans, including six (6) music CDs, children’s magazines and children’s nonfiction videos. A maximum of 50 items can be checked out on a Teacher Loan at one time and can be in any combination as long as there are not more than 50 items on the card at one time. Materials that have been obtained through SearchOhio or OhioLINK can only be checked out on a personal card and not on a teacher card.